Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Lightning Maps

During this morning's QSO I disconnected the antenna feed twice due to nearby lightning. I looked at various lightning data web sites I had bookmarked and found one that let me pan and zoom to the degree I wanted. Below are two screen shots from LightningMaps.org that uses data from Blitzortung.org to overlay a Google map. When I selected Real Time near the upper left corner on the initial map I found I was able zoom in and pan. I also could select the amount of history to display, using check-boxes across the top of the map.

First is the view captured at 0722 CDT, 3/10/2015, with 2 hours of data. 
Click above to enlarge view.

Next is the view from 0930 CDT and shows 24 hours worth of data, using more colors.
Click above to enlarge view.

I intend to keep this site handy for future reference.


No comments:

Post a Comment