Tuesday, July 14, 2015

VirtualBox and Windows 10

A recent posting on Google+ reported the availability of VirtualBox 5.0This page describes how to install it on three related "flavors" of Linux, so I decided to take it for a spin to see how it handles a preview version of Windows 10. Below is a screen shot that shows Windows 10 running on the virtual machine on my Ubuntu 14.04 Linux desktop.

Click above for larger view.

I was testing the performance with the live video stream of this week's Security Now netcast and opened the Windows 10 "menu" for display on the left side of the window. The Linux desktop has the same elements that I described in my earlier post that made use of the Kernel-based Virtual Machine.

For the VirtualBox virtual machine I allocated more CPU, memory and disk space than before, and the video performance seemed to improve accordingly. This virtual machine was also able to produce the audio generated by Windows 10. My previous work with the Kernel-based Virtual Machine did not produce audio, but there is probably a setting I needed to change to make it work.

The two virtual machines that I used require about the same level of effort to configure.

No comments:

Post a Comment